Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Whale Work : v1.0


When I was away on vacation fishing up on Frasier island- there was a beached whale (Southern Wright juvenile male) not far from where were staying- This piece is going to be a homage to that beached whale, which for whatever reasons beached itself and died, and was later on the higher tides torn apart by sharks. I took photos mostly of the front section of the body, mainly the mouth and converted it into 3D data via 3Dsee which I am reworking and sculpting in 3DCoat - the drawn sketches I have put together have so far been quiet abstract - I don't know at this stage what the final form of the sculpture will take. The beauty of the shape of the mouth that seems to to come into play in the sketches a lot of the times reminiscent of the Whalebone arches used in Inuit building materials for igloos.



No comments: