Tuesday, July 17, 2007

First Post

O.K.
I have set this blog up as a document of my thought process in my preparation and exercises for my Master of Arts research degree. I will be documenting my W.I.P pieces through this blog-and generally logging my brain storms and on some days (weeks?) brain stalls.

Anyway- Today I met with my supervisor Chris barker, and he started the ball rolling by asking me what I wanted to get out of this: What do want of this traversal between mediums-

Essentially I want prove/promote that there is no difference between the virtual sculptural medium and the physical sculptural mediums-
To be an artist who is comfortable working in a Hi end CG virtual sculptural environment [software+hardware] and one who can be dropped off on a river bed in the bush and still be capable of making works of art, both of value. I want the art to exist irrespective of the medium.

I want lose the distinctions between the mediums :By working in the physical -then 3D scanning-reworking in CG - bringing the mediums back together through rapid prototyping and so going back and fourth-

-real- virtual-real-virtual-real-virtual-

How many times will I cross the divide? - will the mixing enhance or detract from the art process - how much more fun is tactile of the real vs the control z of the virtual- if only life a had an undo button....

I also learned today that QUT has computer controller wood router-which will be great fun to get a figurative sculpture tooled out and that will allow me to then rework it in the flesh so to speak.

Anyway-
I will be arranging another meeting with my other supervisor, Charles Rob sometime in the next week.
And getting my act together for QUT



No comments: